Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal History Background Check
The commonwealth contracts with IDEMIA
(also referred to as IdentoGo or MorphoTrust) for digital fingerprinting. You can register with IDEMIA and be fingerprinted at an IdentoGo site. The fingerprint-based background check is a multi-step process.
For questions about FBI clearances, contact the FBI Background Check Unit at 717-783-6211 or 1-877-371-5422. For IDEMIA registration, processing, or billing questions, please contact IDEMIA/IdentoGo at 1-844-321-2101.
- $23.85 — Employees, Foster/Adoptive Parents
- $22.60 — Volunteers
You can register for an appointment to be fingerprinted two ways:
- Telephone: Call 1-844-321-2101 and listen to the options menu.
Appointments are not required. When you, your employee or volunteer register, please be ready to provide a service code (found here). Employers shall review the service codes to determine which code best suites the volunteer or employee. Once determined, provide this code to the volunteer or employee so they may register. Please note the “DHS volunteer” service code would include all volunteer services. It is titled “DHS” because it is a Department of Human Services (DHS) Child Protective Services Law requirement.
All applicants will also need to refer to the Service Code forms for the list of acceptable identification documents. Applicants must present one of the identification documents at the Idemia fingerprinting location.
Once registered, you may walk‐in during a location’s posted hours of operation, but scheduling an appointment may lead to lesser/no wait times. In order to preregister for a FBI background check and/or find a fingerprinting location, applicants should access the IDEMIA website. It is strongly encouraged that the employee or volunteer contact the site prior to going there as the information on the IDEMIA website may differ from actual hours of operation.
Minors requiring FBI Digital Fingerprinting
If a minor applicant does not have acceptable identification at the time of the fingerprinting appointment they must present:
- The Pennsylvania Photo ID Waiver for Minors form; AND
- One of the listed identification documents for the minor (listed in the waiver), which includes:
- Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by the appropriate Bureau of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency from a U.S. state, U.S. territory, the District of Columbia, or a Canadian province. A birth record issued by a hospital is not acceptable under this category;
- Original or certified copy of a U.S Department of State Certification of Birth Abroad issued to U.S citizens born abroad (Form FS‐240, DS‐1350, or FS‐545);
- Original or certified copy of court order with name and date of birth indicating an official change of name and/or gender from a U.S. state, U.S. territory, the District of Columbia, or Canadian providence; or
- Social Security Card (actual card).
Service codes are a required field for all pre-enrollments. The Service Code form includes additional information for the enrollment and fingerprinting process. The service codes available for applicants applying under the Department of Human Services can be found here
Department of Education
The Pennsylvania Department of Education
also utilizes IDEMIA to process fingerprint based FBI criminal background checks for prospective employees of public and private schools. Under Act 114 of 2006, ALL prospective school employees, school contractors and student teachers are to use the Pennsylvania Department of Education system. This includes but is not limited to: Teachers, School Administrators, Substitute Teachers, Teaching Assistants, PIAA Sports Officials, School Bus Drivers, and Student Teachers. For more information regarding Act 114, and background check requirements for public schools, private schools and student teachers go to the Pennsylvania Department of Education website or email the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Employees or volunteers are required to pay for fingerprinting at the time of service. If an employer is paying, an authorization code must be provided; otherwise the employee or volunteer will be required to pay out of pocket. If an employer wishes to set up a payment agreement with IDEMIA/IdentoGo/Morphotrust, please scroll down to the end of the page titled, “IDEMIA Payment Option” for more information.
If you are an organization or agency accessing this site to inquire about remaining or becoming a Commonwealth affiliate fingerprinting site, or questions surrounding equipment, please note the following important information:
If you would like your location to remain a Commonwealth affiliated fingerprinting site or become a fingerprint site, please visit www.identogo.com/partners
- At the bottom of that page is a link to their Partner Inquiry Form.
- Express interest by providing IDEMIA with your business’ information. Your inquiry will go to their partner team for follow up. Public and private agreements are considered.
- If there is no need in your specific area, you will receive an email letting you know IDEMIA will hold onto your information until a need arises.
- IDEMIA has a process in place for approving locations and equipment. For more information, visit www.identogo.com or call 844-321-2101.
IDEMIA Payment Option - No Charge Authorization Code (NCAC)
IDEMIA offers employers the option to pay for services using a No Charge Authorization Code (NCAC)
which is backed by a credit card provided during the account setup. To use this method for payment, the employer must complete and submit the IDEMIA NCAC Agreement which will be available on the IDEMIA website. The account must be established prior to sending applicants to the fingerprint site.
If you have additional questions, please contact IDEMIA by phone, toll free at (844) 321-2101.